Every year, there is a seeming increase in electrical components among the household items ranging from refrigerators, washing machines and televisions to simple things like phone chargers. Although electricity has become a vital part of human endeavours, there are also increased risks associated with its use. The London Fire Brigade has attended to more than 2000 fire incidents since 2010 caused by electrical faults; this statistic shows how important it is to use an experienced domestic electrician
Identifying a Qualified Domestic Electrician
Making use of the right service for electrical installations and maintenance diminishes the dangers arising from electrical faults such as fires and burns. To this end, the choice of a domestic electrician must be based on the necessary qualifications he/she possesses.
In some electrical cases, government regulations inthe United Kingdom requirethat you make use of a registered electrician to ensurethat the electrical work is carried out in line with legal standard. Another advantage is that registered electricians are insured.
Outlined below are some of these factors you should consider to make the right choice of a domestic electrician
Factors to Consider in Choosing an Electrician
- Nature of Work: Electrical installations and maintenance services differ. Some may require an electrician with a higher-level of expertise, and others might be minor services which do not necessarily need such. It is necessary to gauge the job and employ the right electrician.
- Membership and registration: As stated earlier, this is one way to know if the electrician is qualified. It is crucial to verify the skills of the electrician you intend to employ. Is he certified and registered under an approved government scheme? Is there adequate insurance coverage in case something goes wrong? Asking for proof of the above is not unreasonable; it is to ensure they have all the certification needed.Conducting background checks on the electrician is also an excellent way to clear one’s doubts.
- References and Recommendations: After choosing a registered electrician, the next step is to measure experience by looking up references. It helps you know what others think of the electrician. For instance, if you are hiring onefrom the internet, check customer reviews and see what they say about the electrician. Things to look out for are his/her attitude towards customer complaints, commitment to customers service, the extent of public liability insurance, communication skillsand how quickly he responds to job appointments, value for money, etc. If you are meeting one in person, ask for referees. You can also contact them to know the extent of their satisfaction with the proposed electrician.
- Cost: Cheaper does not always mean better. In fact, “it is always cheaper to do the job right the first time”.No one likes a cheapskate; however, there is nothing wrong in being frugal or working within your budget. Just ensure your budget makes enough provision for a quality service. There is also nothing wrong in comparing quotes from different electricians. A second or third opinion might help make an informed decision. Upon agreeing to the terms of the contract, have a signed document which would prove the agreement.
- Building Regulations: Make sure your electrical work does not violateany housing regulation in your area. It is another reason why a registered electrician is the best option; part of his duties include filing the necessary information at the appropriate authority before the start of work.
Contact a domestic electrician London to get professional and quality electrical service, and also to ensure that all electrical work is safe and will not pose a danger to you and anyone in your home.